Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Coming home made my whole time in London feel like one big dream. Everything was the same, as If I'd woken up the next day. Or being home merely feels like a holiday, a quiet retreat to somewhere peaceful and slow.. Expecting to return soon. To be able to live back in that rushed lifetsyle where there was no responsibility except that unto your yourself. To be able to go for a walk into the west end on my time off, drink a pint in Covent Garden or Soho. Catch the tube or bus or even walk to where I want to go..... Here felt strange the first few days. Everyone speaks with an Australian accent, there it was a novelty and they stood out. Catching the train to and from the footy last Saturday the entire platform was full on white people with Australian accents.. I know it's who I am and what i've grown up around but it felt weird after being away so long......

It's been great seeing everyone and I've had some good times out catching up. Last Saturday night in Brunswick Street was great. But the lifestyle here is so much different, I realise that moreso now. Having to drive everywhere or rely on others to drive you around to get places. Wanting a night out means organising lifts from people, spending money on Taxi's home. Leaving when others are ready or having to wait for others to come round and pick you up. Organising a routine around others. That I'm not used to and don't neccessarily like as much. The sense of Freedom one has over there was so much more. People didn't take things as seriously I think, especially work. There was always something to do socially. People, including me, never or rarely complained about work, about having to get up early, staying in because of the next day, about Monday Mornings. I guess though life isn't always a holiday as it was over there?

Being so isolated as I am in Templestowe it's been slow and strange getting up of a morning and wondering what to do next. It's not like I can walk out the front door and have a million things go on around me.. So now I'm eager to look for a new direction and start again into something good. Living in London has given me a good grounding into knowing and finding what I enjoy. What I'm good at....

Still there are plenty of good things here to. My family, my friends. The chance to get back into my hobbies and interests that I left behind. The notion that I've achieved so much and have a better idea on what I want...

No comments: